Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Throw Off Your Cloak Of Invisibility

-Throw Off Your Cloak Of Invisibility-

Recently, I watched the film 17 Again. It's not a film I probably would've normally chosen to watch, but I had a friend recommend the movie very, very highly. Mainly on the fact that there was a character in there that I was told reminded her of myself. So, after many weeks of deliberation, postponing and every attempt to avoid the film, I decide to sit down and watch the movie. If you're not familiar with the film, it's similar to the premise of the 1988 Tom Hanks film Big, in which a character is transformed age-wise but this time it's reversed so that Matthew Perry is transformed back into his younger self, played by Zac Efron. So, a twist on the premise which led to what was surprisingly a pretty good movie. The biggest discovery of the movie would not come from either of the leads of the film though, but from a supporting actor who plays the character of Ned. I'll take a moment to let you know that there are SPOILERS AHEAD, so if you haven't watched the movie, then beware. However, if you don't care about the movie or have already taken time to watch the movie, then feel free to read ahead or skip the following few paragraphs.

The character of Ned is played by Thomas Lennon (Reno 911), who is in the movie as the best friend of Matthew Perry's character, who helps him out with such sage advice as with this following classic exchange between Ned and Mike after discovering the transformation -

Ned: It's a classic transformation story. Are you now or have you ever been a Norse God, Vampire, or Time Traveling Cyborg?
Mike: I have know you since what, first grade? I think that maybe I would have told you!
Ned: Vampire wouldn't tell, Cyborg wouldn't know.

This is the type of discussion I can imagine having or hope to have if one of my friends ever had a similar dilemma. The character of Ned is a huge, for lack of a better word, nerd or probably more accurately a geek. A geek is a person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. From now on, I'll use the term geek throughout the rest of the post, as geek mainly denotes somebody who is an enthusiast of things outside the mainstream spectrum whereas nerd is, in my opinion, more of a derogatory reference. In my case, it's superheroes for the most part, though I'll admit to being interested in other things such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as well.

Throughout the film, Ned pursues the character of Jane Masterson, masterfully played by Melora Hardin (The Office), who is the principal at the high school where Mike is attending. Most of the film involves Ned's attempts to woo Jane, though she she continually rebuffs his advances as she refuses to date the parents of students. However, it's revealed in a dinner scene as Lord of the Rings comes up unexpectedly and just as unexpectedly, she is discovered to not only speak the Elvish language but is a huge geek as well. She still struggles to overcome her reservations until a pivotal (and perhaps the best scene of the movie) where he arrives at a basketball game wearing a cloak, which he declares to be the cloak of invisibility. When she says that she can't be seen with him, he coolly responds "How can you be seen with me when I'm wearing the cloak of invisibility?" Touche. (SPOILERS OVER)

On that note, There comes a time when you have to throw off the cloak of invisibility and be proud of who you are. The fact is that I'm a geek. I realize that this probably comes as a surprise to well, just about nobody. Not to say that when you're an enthusiast about graphic novels or comic books or Harry Potter that the description encompasses all that you are. It's a big part of you though - something you should be proud of. It certainly doesn't mean that you're weird, embarrassing, socially inept or anything of the sort. It means you're not afraid to pursue things that may not be potentially popular and things that are outside of the mainstream. You're not afraid to march to the beat of a different drummer or take the road less traveled. Stand up!

In that manner, I'll admit that I'm single and I may have to start thinking outside the box as I search for a girlfriend. Not to say that if you're a geek, then you only need search inside geek culture. I have several friends who are also geeks but have married girls who are not in the least into the culture, but embrace (or tolerate) it out of love. But, I have to say, looking for a girl into areas where you are interested in certainly can't hurt. In fact, it can only help. On that note, there are numerous comic book conventions, websites and blogs devoted to just such an ideal - bringing people together who are into the exact same things. Whether those things are comic books, Battlestar Galactica, Harry Potter, Twilight, Lord of the Rings, video games, or anything else of the sort, what really matters is finding a good foundation to build your relationship upon. There is the conventional way of finding women and perhaps, the convention way.

Then, of course, if you find another geek to marry, then you have the option of a themed wedding. (I mean, you've got Lord of the Rings - "the Fellowship of the Ring." See how well that would work as a wedding theme? The ring? Clever - I know). But, that's a blog for another day. Right now, I'm off to look up the upcoming convention schedule.

Stay Classy.

P.S. - If you're interested in the upcoming conventions of various geek types, then my suggestion would be to visit this site - Convention Scene, which goes over the upcoming events. I had a friend send me this link today to Soul Geek, which declares itself to be the cyber-home for geek dating. Then there is finally this inspirational story from CNN which discusses geeks finding love at comic book conventions and includes this quote from the founder of SoulGeek, who says "You can't settle. You can't be with somebody who's going to hope that someday you're going to grow out of this." Truer words were never spoken. As X-Files declared years ago, the truth is out there. But, maybe, just maybe, love is out there too. You just have to look for love in the right places. Put on your favorite geek shirt proudly and walk out there to find it. Love is out there.

1 comments:

Amber Mac November 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM  

Finally, you let out your true colors. Embrace your geekiness and find a fellow geek-girl! I am holding onto the hope that I will one day go to the mailbox and pull out a scroll type document that is inviting me to "The fellowship of the Ring with Richard Upchurch and dream girl."

I will keep you accountable and make sure that you go to the conventions wearing your favorite harry potter costume. Because thats how you find love!

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP