Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I Got A Laptop

-I Got A Laptop-

Anybody who knows me knows that I've been frustrated with my desktop computer for some time now. Don't get me wrong - it's a great computer and it has served me very well. Lately, however, it's showing its age. ("It's true - she's aging more noticeably every day.") It's gotten to the point where it's only slightly more effective than two tin cans connected by a string and I only rank my computer above that because you can't watch The Colbert Report on the two can system. Personally though, I felt it was just a fantasy that I would be able to. However, Wal-Mart ("Save Money, Live Better".) certain lived up to its tagline this weekend as it had an exclusive laptop sale where they were selling a laptop for $298. For me, that is a great deal and right in my price range for a laptop.

My dad - a wonderful, benevolent father indeed - sent me an e-mail regarding this sale on Friday and I immediately called my Wal-Mart to verify that they were indeed regarding the sale. The knowledgeable guy in Electronics informed that they were and because they were a 24 hour Wal-Mart here, the sale would begin at midnight. Already, I had the weekend off and now it looks like it was going to shape up to be a pretty eventful weekend indeed. Due to the nature of the sale, he advised me to be there early. Possibly up to an hour early and on the advice of my awesome brother, I did him one better and went two hours early, just to ensure that I wouldn't miss it.

When I arrived though, I learned that the knowledgeable guy I spoke to in Electronics wasn't so knowledgeable after all. Wal-Mart was only selling the laptops at 8 the next morning, which was mentioned pretty clearly in their ad and so, I went home, momentarily defeated. But, I was determined to come home with a laptop this weekend and so I decided I would go back tomorrow morning. But, the idea of me getting there at 6 the next morning wasn't likely. Not a morning person, but I would get there an hour early to discover quite a line had already formed. Some people I talked to had been there since 4:30 in the morning. Now, that's dedication.

I settled back in the line, which stretched all the way back to the HD-TV's in between an elderly couple who were pretty excited about a laptop and who hadn't apparently been in line for a new technological gadget since the Wii came out. They certainly loved their Wii and told me quite a bit about it. Wii Fit was their favorite. How awesome is that? On the other side of me was a family of five who were bitterly disappointed to learn that the laptops had a one-per-family limit. They'd brought their whole family with them, apparently eager to have a laptop for everybody. In their need for a laptop, they went ahead to start calling people to see whether they could recruit them over to purchase a laptop for them and mysteriously they were all called Tammy. (Biker Tammy, Tammy By Riverside, Farmer Tammy, Barbie Tammy etc). However, an hour and many Demi Lovato interviews later, the line started to move.

Cruelly and ironically enough, the Carly Simon classic "Anticipation" blared over the loudspeakers as we waited. The line seemed to move at a glacial pace, taking forever it seemed to get my laptop but once it got going, the glacier thawed out and really moved fast. Eventually, after about a half hour in line, I was able to receive my laptop. Walking out the door with a laptop and a celebratory box of Hot Tamales, I was now the proud owner of a Compaq Presario laptop.

Gone were the days of having to make an Itunes night to add music to my computer, since it locked up my whole computer and hours to add a few cds. Gone were the days of not been able to run more than one or two programs at once. Gone were the days of picking up a book to read a chapter or two to wait for a program or a page to load. Gone were the days of popping in a movie to wait for the computer to restart. (That's a bit of an exaggeration - the last one - but only barely). But now, my computer runs smoothly no matter what and it is Hakuna Matata all the way.

Now, I got a laptop, I got a laptop, I got a laptop - hey, hey, hey!

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Darken' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP